Wednesday, August 3, 2022

The Evolution of Rules (or rather, my thinking about Rules)

 I was finally tipped over the edge on starting a new blog by Norm Smith and the post on his Battlefields and Warriors Blog here:

http://battlefieldswarriors.blogspot.com/2022/07/too-much-stuff.html

which posed the question - are we using simpler rule because we now collect so many periods we don't have time to absorb complex rules?  I made a few replies in the comments and then realised that I was interested in the discussion and it raised some other questions about decisions I had made over the years about the way I now wargame.

I originally started out in 1974 with H G Wells Little Wars rules as they were the only book on wargaming that my local library had.  For two years I happily fired matchsticks at plastic Airfix 54mm Napoleonics and played on a carpet or a patio.  This is simple wargaming, easy to remember rules, plenty of excitement as you fire matchsticks at long range at the advancing enemy and a melee system where every man kills another man until they are outnumbered 2 to 1.

Then we discovered Practical Wargaming by Charles Wesencraft in the library which revolutionised my wargaming and I used a table and dice.  We still played Napoleonics with 1/72nd scale Airfix and were soon rolling for movement and morale and working out firing ranges, etc.

After that, we wanted to play bigger battles so I bought 5mm Heroics and Ros Napoleonics and we fought larger games using G W Jefferies rules which I seem to remember were fairly complex.

I changed schools and moved into 25mm Minifigs with Bruce Quarrie rules and soon adapted to dividing by 33 for casualties and working out exactly how far a French Guard Grenadier could move.  We never managed to finish a game in the after school wargames club as there simply wasn't time to setup and play more than a few moves before everything had to be packed up again. But we enjoyed ourselves (I think).

After that I discovered Roleplaying games and fell out of wargaming until 1995 when I restarted with 15mm Essex Miniatures Napoleonics and Bruce Quarrie again (as those were the rules my opponent and I had used at school).  This time we had longer to play games and actually finished them - helped by scenarios and a fixed number of turns.

Since then I have played probably over 100 different rule sets across all sorts of periods; either with my own collections or at Guildford Wargames Club.  I have enjoyed some of them, hated others and adopted a few as ones that I return to again and again.

The two big influences on my gaming in recent years have been Bob Cordery's Portable Wargame and the books by Neil Thomas starting with his Wargaming and Introduction book.

It is only in recent years that I have started to realise what it is that I enjoy about wargaming and what I want from a set of rules.  I am not someone who is ultra-competitive. I was never like that at school sports and my second Grammar school ruined sports for me as they were extremely competitive to the extent of teaching the first XV to foul on the blind side of the referee.

I like to win but it doesn't matter to me if I don't.  So, working out how rules work in depth, how to break them or get the best from rule mechanisms isn't something that appeals to me.  I just want to play the game and enjoy it.

To me, wargaming is an opportunity to put painted toy soldiers on a table and push them around while enjoying the company of friends. It is, above all, a social experience rather than a competition.

And this is also why I enjoy "simpler" rules such as Neil Thomas's which are elegant in design and are straightforward.  I don't want to have the game mechanisms intrude on the game in such as way that I feel I am playing the rules rather than playing the game of Toy Soldiers.

This is why I have never really got on with Too Fat Lardies rules, I think, though I know many love them and I have tried several sets.  The mechanisms in games like Chain of Command simply make me feel I am playing a dice game rather than pushing figures around a table.

I think perhaps one reason that I am happy with simpler rules is that I have no pretensions to recreating history. I very rarely play refights of historical battles.  I prefer balanced scenarios that give both sides a chance (rare in actual battles) and that produce an interesting challenge.

I sometimes feel that perhaps I am little old fashioned but I am happy with rules that use Charge/Move/Fire/Melee/Morale and UgoIgo turn sequences.  I struggle with games that have interruptions of the other player's turn as I never know when to interrupt. I do play games that use cards for commands or dice for order checks such as Command and Colours or Black Powder but I don't feel that these intrude on the game as much as other ideas can do.

I am still playing new rule sets at the Guildford club - I played Soldiers of Napoleon the other day and thought that it had some interesting ideas but I am not going to spend £30 on a new ruleset which I will play very occasionally when I am happy with a variation of Neil Thomas.

So, I have come to a point in my wargaming that I have a set of rules I am happy with, which work for me and the people I play with and I really can't see me buying any more "shiny" new rules to replace them.

And I am back playing Little Wars again with my own metal 54mm figures and matchstick firing cannon out on the lawn and occasionally on the table and still enjoying it as much as I did for the first time over 40 years ago in a friend's lounge with the furniture pushed back.








8 comments:

  1. Mike, the route of discovering wargaming via library books and moving our soldiers from the floor to the table (and back again :-) ) is very much of the Airfix generation and a familiar story for many of us.

    I suppose if any one thing signals where we are up to today, it is that choice is massive, but perhaps to a point that it potentially overloads us in terms of both physical and mental space.

    Having reminded myself that ‘play’ is my primary concern, I am trying to bring the other areas of the hobby back under control to free up the time to ‘simply play’. I think it is that very ethos that underpins the Neil Thomas books.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think there is still a tendency among some people to chase the "perfect" rules set or perfect game and thus buy the latest ruleset to see if it is "the one". I came to the realisation that there is no such thing. And while I would like a games room based on the library from "My Fair Lady" with hand made terrain for every battle, it isn't going to happen!

      Delete
  2. You have described a fascinating wargaming journey that I am sure a lot of us can empathise with!

    I look forward to reading more on your blog.

    Simon

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Mike, an interesting start to the blog. I'd guess that most build up a collection which spans a number of different periods which probably involves using a number of different rule sets. Complex rules date back to the 70s but have never appealed to me as they always lead to games which are slow to play and probably can't be finished in a session. People like Charlie Wessencraft demonstrated early on that rules don't need to be complex to give a good game which (importantly for me) also captures the character of a period. I only use a couple of commercial rule sets (Death in the Dark Continent, A Gentleman's War) and mainly write my own, a part of the hobby I really enjoy. Possibly that makes them easier to remember but I'd like to think that it's the easy systems. I think that it's a mistake to equate simple rules with unrealistic and complex with realistic. It's much harder to keep mechanisms simple and capture the character of a period but it's worth making the effort. Once I've done my research and made my 'must have' and 'nice to have' lists the hard part is usually avoiding including too much of the 'nice to have' list!
    I look forward to more of your blogging.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I agree that complex rules with charts for everything (and a QRS that fills 6 pages) aren't for me. I think in the 1970s there was a feeling that unless you were playing a complicated simulation, you were playing with Toy Soldiers and that was something people wanted to avoid.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hello Mike, I arrived here quite randomly when I clicked on an interesting title in the Wargaming Miscellany blog and decided to read this post. Most interesting. I am retired and have been wargaming for only a few short years, discovering the hobby through internet rambling. Like most old guys I played with toy soldiers and had many solo battles that my side ALWAYS won. As an old guy, I realized I would be playing solo, but I decided to read up on solo play. I found many blogs and very interesting ideas such as yours that helped me along. I believe I finally arrived where you are now but not with as many years of experience. I've tried many rulesets in many periods and just as many campaign mechanisms. For those of us interested in the simpler rulesets, you've mentioned 2 of my favorite authors of rulesets, Bob Cordery and Neil Thomas. To those I would add Phil and Sue Barker. Phil's writing style is ... challenging .. but the DBA rules are magnificent.

      So to the point. As a solo player, I want to be surprised somewhat by the outcome, and I fight each side in turn as best I can. I also want fog-of-war, but without tables, charts, excessive measurements, 50-page rulesets. My 3 favorite mechanisms for solo play are:
      1. Bob Cordery's campaign playing cards movement system found in his book The Portable Colonial Wargame. It's magic. Heart-pounding surprises and really makes you think strategically.
      2. Neil Thomas rules just as they are in One Hour Wargaming.
      The simple challenge of deciding "should I move or should I fire?" is much more demanding mentally than a lot of large-ruleset-afficionados give it credit for.
      3. DBA (ancients) - Phil and Sue Barker. If you've played it, you know what I mean. If you haven't, do try it. The PIP mechanism is pure genius and so simple at the same time.

      Thanks for the discussion.

      Dalethewargamer

      Delete
    2. Dale, many thanks for the comments.

      You seem to have come to a similar view on rules to me, except that I have given up on the whole Dbx style of games.

      I have realised I simply don't enjoy games where exact movement and angling on your stands is important. I realise it is partly who you play against, and I played DBm and DBA against ancient players who also play in competitions, but I don't enjoy that style of possible gamesmanship.

      I don't play solo very often - mostly to try out a set of rules and otherwise mostly solo card games such as Marvel Champions, etc.

      But I am lucky to have a regular local opponent and I have been going to Guildford Wargames club for over 20 years so have opponents there as well.

      Delete