I have been thinking about an Italian Wars project for a while and was planning on using 6mm Baccus figures and a set of hex based rules from Battlegames #7.
My regular opponent has bought the Flodden Collection from Wofun Games in full-colour flats using Peter Dennis art and we have played a couple of games with them. I came to realise that I could use these flats instead of painting a huge number of 6mm figures.
I initially thought I'd use 18mm, but realised I could fit the same number of 28mm figures in a hex as 18mm due to the nature of the strips and the base widths they are designed for.
In the end I went for 28mm as it matches what Anthony has and we can combine collections for some games.
I had planned to buy some test sprues, etc and plan stuff but then Wofun announced a price increase from Sept 1st of £3-£4 a sprue and so I took the plunge and ordered the renaissance starter set and 21 other sprues - 985 "figures" in total.
They arrived yesterday and I have spent sometime today playing with bases, shapes and sizes, number of strips, etc for my 28mm Italian Wars project.
The following is what I think works with the hex terrain for the rules I am looking at using and fits into the space without looking too big. It also makes the best use of the sprues.
Infantry 2 x 2 strips - 16 figures
Cavalry 9 figures in 3 rows
Pike 2 x 5 strips - 40 figures
I have now made up a test base of Arquebusiers and like the look. The back of the base will hold 2D6 and a label for the unit.
It took a couple of hours of cutting different base sizes and depths before deciding on the final result but I think it will work okay and each unit fits the hexes well.
Now I've got about 40 more units to base up - at least I don't have to paint them!
True, thought, to be fair, I had planned to do the Italian Wars with Baccus 6mm and do have some of their landsknechts (unpainted so far) so its more a replacement project!
ReplyDeleteNice, that was a good time to jump with the price rise.
ReplyDeleteYes, good timing - though it made me decide on going ahead and scale rather quickly
ReplyDeleteThey are a fantastic way to get into a new period aren't they?
ReplyDeleteBest wishes, James
Hi James
DeleteThey are - I have cut down to just 2 collections that need a lot of figures painting before they can hit the table - Dendermonde and epic TYW .
I also have a fair amount of 54mm Punic Wars to paint but they can be used as is for Command and Colours.
Going through a clear out I realised I had too many unfinished projects and that I really didn’t want /need Italian Wars to be another one.
So WoFun offered an opportunity to put together armies for the Italian Wars without 1000 figures to paint!
This comment has been removed by the author.
Delete