Tried out the DBN rules with my 54mm figures on Monday morning.
I've looked at they in the past but they were still too close to DBA with recoils, etc and having to double to destroy. The 2.1 edition now has an attrition system where units can take up to 3 hits before being destroyed but can still be destroyed by being doubled in combat.
I was also intrigued by Norm Smith's review of the rules and play through on his Battlefields and Warriors blog and that was enough for my to download a set of the rules.
We tried out a 12 point 1815 game on a 4'x 4' table and used 2" = 100 paces which seemed to work well. Each army had a break point of 4 units and, as the French, I broke 4 of the British (mostly the Belgian Militia units in the centre having lost 2 of my own.
I have been looking for a system that will let me play some historical scenarios with my 54mm in 2 hours or so and these might be the rules for that. My regular opponent prefers games that that 2 hours or under rather than the 3-4 hours other sets of rules require. I would probably try a scenario next on a 6' x 5' table and see how that goes. Or increase the unit sizes and use an 8' x 5' table.
An interesting post, must admit DBN does interest me and Norm and your posts have made me want to start a project using the rules. 54mm figures look great.
ReplyDeleteThanks Donnie - I am hoping that the rules will give us a way of playing an historical refight in a small space in a small time frame
DeleteThat looks 'plain lovely' with the 54's :-). I am re-reading my rules now and picking up other nuances.
ReplyDeleteI would like to use slightly bigger units (perhaps just double ranked) but I'll see how that looks on a bigger table.
DeleteLooks like using DBN is catching!
ReplyDeleteIt is!
DeleteI will be interested to hear more. Good looking game .
ReplyDeleteAlan Tradgardland
Thanks Alan, Hope to get a bigger game in soon.
Delete