Wednesday, April 24, 2024

I reserve the right to change my mind!

 

I have been mulling over the Thirty Years War project I would like to do. I had tried painting a free sprue of Epic Pike and Shotte but didn't really get on with them.  I also bought a test box of the 28mm Pike and Shotte plastic figures.

On Monday I tried assembling the 28mm plastics and got so frustrated with them (I really don't get on with multi-part 28mm) that I threw them in the bin in disgust!

Then I had a look at metals and realised it was going to be far too expensive for the size of games I wanted (circa £40 a unit).

I have been playing around with washes to paint some fantasy and boardgame figures so wondered if perhaps I could use that approach on smaller figures.  I bit the bullet and bought a box of Epic Pike and Shot Battalia for the 30YW on Amazon (£7 a unit - much better!) and they arrived Tuesday morning.

Got them undercoated and started painting on Tuesday - finished today.  I think thay look fine!  They are pretty quick to paint and, once you decide to treat a spue like one 28mm figure, you can gloss over the detail you aren't going to see anyway.



6 comments:

  1. The washes have worked out well on your test unit.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks - they have come out okay - was thinking about applying a black wash and some extra details but decided that these really are 3 foot rule minis

      Delete
  2. Agree they look great, well done! It might be fun to show a 'step-by-step' account of painting a unit - I would be interested to see that, and learn...

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks - I'll think about a painting guide, not sure I have the patience to photograph every step though!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Agree about multi part build. Nice job on the Epic.They have just announced Rome / Carthage …. Oh Dear 🙂

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks - I already have 54mm Punic wars so not tempted by the epic ones. I do think their shields look a bit big though.

      Delete