Wednesday, February 28, 2024

Playing with Ravelins

 I made a start of designing the Ravelins for the Siege of Dendermonde project quite a while ago but got stuck trying to visualise exactly how they were going to fit together, how the walls would work and exactly what internal supports I would need.

So, I cut some samples pieces this morning.  The base out of 4mm MDF and the floors and structure out of 3mm MDF.



The individual pieces are shown above.  The base is designed to fit in with my hex terrain system.



These pictures show the initial assembly and how the the pieces fit together.  I glued the wooden pieces together and used bits of card to support them.

Then I cut some very rough pieces of card to get a feel for how it would look with walls.



The walls are very rough and I need to work out the joining angles before designing them - they will then be cut from 2mm MDF.

The back of the ravelin with have a set of 3d printed stairs to the top platform.

The next picture shows some British troops manning the Ravelin while Austrian grenadiers march along the outside ridge to get to a bridge to the Glacis.




The final picture shows how the base tile will fit in with the hex terrain.  In the finished piece it will be surrounded by ditch tiles, which will be brown and then there will be other ditch tiles that fit over them showing the flooded ditch.



5 comments:

  1. Looking forward to seeing how this progresses. I remember the Siege of Dendermonde in Battle magazine many years ago and in due course made my own (part) fortress from card and model railway papers. I think yours will be better. Best wishes.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks - it is certainly an improvement on the siege we played when I was 15 with 6mm Napoleonics and a large sheet of paper!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Interesting! Far too fiddly for my craft skills I'm afraid.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is considerably easier with a laser cutter - I can't cut a straight line normally!

      Delete
  4. Really impressive! I look forward to seeing how these turn out. Way beyond my skills, too!

    ReplyDelete