Wednesday, August 23, 2023

Swashbuckler by Yaquinto Games

 I played Swashbuckler when it came out in 1980.  It was one of the "Album" style games that Yaquinto produced where the board contains the game pieces.

I picked up a copy on ebay a few years back on a whim to see if I could convert it to a figure game to use with my Three Musketeers collection.

A random discussion over a boardgame a couple of weeks ago led to us trying the game out at the Guildford Club last week.



It was great fun and all 4 of us enjoyed it. You plot your moves for the turn over 6 phases and write them down in advance, so things inevitably go wrong.  There was a lot of mug throwing and chair tossing and Ray's character eventually died from being kicked after I got fed up with missing him with a sword.

The other players' were keen when I mention a miniatures version and I spent some time this week thinking about it.  I sketched up a board layout yesterday and spent today laser cutting the pieces.



Encouraged by the look of the board which uses 40mm squares, I started work on the other pieces and added:

Tables, Chairs, Carpets and the Balcony and Stairs.




I have drawn up the shelving units and just need to cut them.

Then I need to decide on tankards - I might 3D print them but experiments with using some files off Thingiverse and scaling them down haven't worked that well.

Once I have mugs it is pretty much ready to play - I will paint it at some point  and I will eventually add walls and might redo the Balcony as it isn't quite right.


2 comments:

  1. We played that a lot and unearthed it during a recent clear out of boardgames. I vaguely recall figures and bits of balsa but all long gone. Worth taking another look at - I may not sell it after all!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We all enjoyed the game we played and I'm looking forward to trying the miniatures version in October.

      Delete