Tuesday, April 18, 2023

Frostgrave and Fantasy Skirmish

 I have always been interested in fantasy gaming having played a lot of RPG games in my teenage years and the desire to play Dungeon Crawling games has never really gone away.

I have tried a few different boardgames and have Heroquest whch is painted and I have nearly finished a 3d board for it, but it is a little too simple and nothing else has grabbed me.

I have collected a lot of Reaper Bones figures over the years from various Kickstarters and managed to paint very few of them.  I think part of the problem with deciding on a games system is that most systems are so open-ended that I don't really know where to start (or end) and I have never quite managed to get things together.

I was idly surfing the web when I came across some Frostgrave reports and scenery builds.  I was aware of the game and had not bought into it when it came out as it seemed a little too limted - being based around a single wizard and his party of an apprentice and 8 soldiers.

This time, however, I realised that this limited nature could be a good thing!  It gave me a basic framework of a very small number of figures to start gaming with and Frostgrave now has supplements that cover dungeon crawling and solo gaming.

So, I have bought the rules and a couple of supplements and dug out the Bones figures I had painted and rebased them.  


As you can see, I haven't managed to get many painted over the years since the first Bones kickstarter!

I am also intrigued by building a 3' x 3' board to play Frostgrave with other people as I have never built a winter scenery collection and it strikes me as an interesting challenge.

I have discovered the Ulvheim 3d files on Thingiverse and have started printing out a number of the ruined buildings and second stories - they are really nice models and cost about 90p each in materials (but can take up to 9 hours to print!)

 


 Two of the buildings with 2nd floors and a Bones figure for scale.

I have also ordered some flagstone sheets and  an Amera Moulding pyramid and river sections to add to the board.

I'll document here how I get on, but I think painting a couple of fantasy figures between other stuff will make a nice change of pace.



No comments:

Post a Comment