Monday, January 30, 2023

Initial Sketches for Dendermonde

 I have made an initial sizing sketch in google Sketchup of how I think the layout of Dendermonde will look.


This shows 3 Bastions, 3 Ravelins, 2 Demi-lunes and the Glacis.  Still not quite sure about the shape of the Bastions.  I am basing my designs on the original Dendermonde article rather than any models of actual Vauban forts.  They might need to be a little less pointed.


 


Ron Miles admiring his city with a bastion in the centre.

 

The model takes up 60" across from table edge to table edge and is 28" deep which means I might need to reduce the depth of the bastions to make them less pointed and thus less deep.

The Glacis shape also needs to be played with.

But it is a good initial start and once I have played with it a little more I will cut out the shapes from Card and see how it looks on the table top.


2 comments:

  1. Hi Mike, I'm no expert but the shape of the bastions does look odd, not the classic shape. Duffy's book Fire & Stone doesn't cover Dendermonde specifically but has some very useful illustrations.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Brian (and for the scan). The idea is to recreate Ron Miles' model and siege so I am not aiming at the classic Pentagon shape (I have the osprey on Vauban) but something like Ron used for his game.

    ReplyDelete