Saturday, April 27, 2019

First 54mm Napoleonics Game



I bought a large collection of 54mm Napoleonics last year from Andy Duff's widow (Andy sadly died in December 2017) and I have slowly been working through it making sense of the figures an rebasing them into my planned arrangement for 12 man units based on 4 stands of 60mm x 40mm. The figures are a some what eclectic mix (as Andy himself admitted) and contain a fair amount of austrians repainted as other nations which will evntually be restored to their white coats and correct uniforms.

I have also bought a fair number of Prussians from Anthony who has decided to move to metals for his napoleonic collection.

I now have enough based up for a game and so Anthony and I met up to play a game using Neil Thomas's Napoleonic rules with 8 units a side.





Each side had 1 cavalry, 1 gun, 5 line infantry, 1 poorer quality infantry, 1 general and 1 officer.

The game worked very well and we both enjoyed it - simple victory conditions were to claim the crossroads or reduce the enemy to 2 units. After a hard fought battle which swung both ways at times, the prussian jagers managed to almost completely destroy the last intact French unit with some lucky die rolling and I admitted defeat.

I need to finish the bases off for the figures but was keen to get them on the table as I always find that playing a game keeps up my interest in a project...













7 comments:

  1. Lovely report.
    Thanks for sharing it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a splendid looking game which also sounds as if it was great fun to play. The scenery and figures complement each other well.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love the way Mike has managed to base three figures to a 60mm wide base. It gives his units a smaller footprint than is normal with 54mm figures which means more units can be deployed on an average 6' x 4' table without the game looking cramped. This was the first time that I had played Neil Thomas's Napoleonic rules and I thoroughly enjoyed them.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Than you for posting the pictures.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Superb looking figures, the eclectic mix among the French works very well.

    ReplyDelete
  6. A great looking game and wonderful figures Mike. It's interesting to me the visual impact that a unit with a relatively small number of figures has in 1/32nd scale. I'll look forward to seeing/reading more reports of games with these figures and rules as your project proceeds.

    ReplyDelete
  7. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete