Thursday, February 11, 2010

Artillery Park

When I first played Little Wars as a teenager, we had just four guns.

These were the small civil war cannon that fired tiny pellets and were quite ineffective and the bigger Britain's cannon that fired matchsticks.

We used the Cannon with matchsticks as long range, accurate weapons and then used the guns that came with the game AMBUSH! which fired plastic shells for the little guns. You placed the base of the pistol on top of the gun and then fired. They weren't wildly accurate, but when you hit you knocked over several figures.

The guns I used to have are long gone, so I started collecting them from ebay and have amassed a fair collection of field and heavy guns.

These fall into two types:

Field Guns

guns

I have 7 of these in various states of scruffiness. They do all fire and still have strong springs and firing mechanisms.

Heavy Guns


bigguns

I have 3 of these that are fully working, though the howitzer style gun needs some cleaning for it to fire smoothly.

I also have two broken guns that I am hoping to make a complete gun from:

broken

The one on the left has a broken firing mechanism and missing spring, while the one on the right is just missing part of the trail which means the firing mechanism doesn't engage properly. I'm hoping that surgery will let me combine them into a working model.

So, 10 guns with a potential 11th which is easily enough for a large game and something I could only dream of 35 years ago!

No comments:

Post a Comment